A Beginner’s Guide to Dental Services Specialties


dentistsA dental clinic offering specialized services in dentistry attract more people because aside from performing regular teeth cleaning, fill cavities and doing routine checkups, they also feature special, unique and exclusive services. The main feature of specialized dental clinics is their dentists themselves, who have advanced knowledge to treat problems graver than general dentists can fix.

For example, trained and experienced orthodontists, endodontists and pediatric dentists number among the specialized dentists. These professionals have undergone special training, which consists of 4 years of education in general dentistry with 2 additional years of specialty education in their field of expertise.

South Loop Dentistry lists down some of the more common dentistry specializations in the Chicago area although the ADA recognizes nine separate dental specialties.

Pediatric Dentist

A pediatric dentist treats children, infants and young teenagers. They provide preventive treatments, perform oral examinations and repair defective teeth by way of braces or implants.


A periodontist work more on his patient’s gums than his teeth. Their specialty lies in preventing and treating various gum diseases called periodontal diseases, caused by oral bacteria. They also perform dental implants and gum and tooth restructuring.


Orthodontists focus mainly on proper teeth placement. Patients with buck or crooked teeth go to an orthodontist to have brace fittings or surgery done to correct their mouth.

A subset of an orthodontist is an oral or maxillofacial surgeon, who works on jaw deformities and performs tooth extractions. These are highly specialized doctors trained and licensed to treat neck and head conditions related to the mouth.


Endodontists perform root canal treatments and concentrate on any problems or condition that happens below the teeth enamel, particularly in blood vessels, pulp and teeth nerves. The prefix “endo” means “inner”.

No matter the problem in the mouth, teeth, or gums, approach a general dentist first. They would invariably refer you to another specialized dentist if the problem is more than they could handle.

Scroll to Top